Recipe by MarieRynr
This dessert is to die for. A moist gingerbread cake that stands very well on it's own with no other garnish, but you just have to have the bananas as they tip what is quite delicious to over the top!
Top Review by gailanng
Since I'm the first to review, maybe I'll have you all bake a batch this new year and then I'll eat all the submissions and announce my favorite. WHO'S WITH ME? Happy New Year 2017!!!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar (Packed)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
For the Bananas
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (Packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3 bananas (Peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- whipped cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Butter and flour an 8 inch square dish and set aside.
- Whisk together the spices, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Stir together the molasses, soda and hot water and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the egg into the creamed mixture.
- Add the cooled molasses mixture, then the dry ingredients, mixing only until blended. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the oven until tests done, 30 to 40 minutes.
- In the meantime do the banana sauce. In a medium saute pan, combine the butter, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon and rum. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for several minutes longer, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes longer. Gently stir in the bananas and heat until heated through.
- To serve, cut the gingerbread into rectangles and place on dessert plates. Top each portion with some of the banana sauce and then a dollop of freshly whipped cream.