Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious take on gingerbread! The chunks of sweet pear add moisture and a delicate fruity flavor. Serve it plain or dusted with confectioners' sugar or beside a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or frozen yogurt! Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (or one egg, beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 fresh pears, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8" square baking pan.
- Peel, core & cut up pears before mixing other ingredients (since the baking soda will begin working as soon as it contacts the lemon juice you want the pears ready to go when mixing!)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (except pears). Pour the wet incredients mixture into the dry ingredients mixture.
- Stir until just combined, don't overmix!
- Stir in the pears.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve warm OR cool to room temperature.