1 hr 45 mins
weekend cooker's Note:
I made this recipe this morning, as is it ever good. I found this out of a recipe book I had, and it had 2 variations of cooking which are both listed. Definately recommended, and is great for a dessert, or for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sorghum molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 lemons (juice only)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- 1Cream together 1/2 cup butter and sugar.
- 2Add egg, and mix well.
- 3Add molasses, and mix well.
- 4Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt, and stir into creamed mixture.
- 5Add coffee, and beat well.
- 6There are 2 ways to make the gingerbread:.
- 7a. If you have a 2 pound coffee can, grease and flour the inside of it, and pour in the batter.
- 8Place in slow cooker, and pour water around the insert, or coffee can.
- 9Cover insert with its lid, or coffee can with 6-8 paper towels.
- 10b. Cut waxed paper or parchment paper to fit bottom of slow cooker, and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- 11Spray paper and sides of cookers interior with non-stick cooking spray.
- 12Pour batter into preheated slow cooker.
- 13Cover cooker with the lid slightly ajar to allow excess moisture to escape.
- 14Cook on high for 1 3/4 - 2 hours,or on low for 3-4 hours or until edges are golden, and center comes out clean.
- 15If you used a baking insert, or a coffee can, remove from cooker, and cool on a cake rack.
- 16Let stand for 5 minutes before running knife around outer edge of cake and inverting onto serving plate.
- 17If you baked the gingerbread directly in the cooker, cut the cake into wedges after allowing it to cool for 30 minutes, and carefully lift the wedges out of the cooker onto serving plates.
- 18In a saucepan, mix together the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- 19Add lemon juice, and water, stirring with each addition.
- 20cook over medium heat for 1 minute, or until thick and bubbly.
- 21Remove from heat , and stir in butter.
- 22If the gingerbread has been cooling on a rack, cut it into wedges.
- 23To serve, top with sauce, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread With Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.5
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 529.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 51.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g