1/1 Photo of Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
Mary Leverington's Note:
This was my favorite dessert when I was a little girl. I can remember clearly the smell of the gingerbread cooking in the oven--even now the smell bring goose bumps. Having two brothers I had to compete vigorously for my share of seconds. If I lost, my mother would always give me her piece when the the boys weren't looking. I don't have it any longer, but I remember finding this recipe many years later on a little scrap of paper in the pages of my mother's favorite cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1Gingerbread: Grease 9x9x2" baking pan.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves into a large bowl.
- 4Stir in the wheat germ.
- 5Beat eggs in a medium size bowl until frothy.
- 6Stir in buttermilk, molasses and oil, mixing well.
- 7Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing well.
- 8Pour into prepared pan.
- 9Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until top springs back when pressed.
- 10Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 11Cut into squares.
- 12Serve warm with Lemon Sauce.
- 13Lemon Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan, mixing well.
- 14Stir in boiling water and bring to boil again, stirring constantly.
- 15Lower heat and simmer, stirring, until sauce is thickened and clear.
- 16Stir in butter, lemon rind and juice.
- 17Pour over warm Gingerbread.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.8 mg
- Sodium 376.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g