Recipe by Shannon 24
I found this recipe in a Country Living magazine, a few years ago - and have made it many times since. It is a good recipe for those chilly days. Good comforting dessert.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm a big fan of gingerbread, & with this lemon sauce, well . . . You've got AN ABSOLUTE WINNER here & a KEEPER OF A RECIPE! I definietly want to be making this one through the Fall & Winter months! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Adopt a Tag]
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add to molasses mixture alternatively with hot water.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the lemon sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg and water. Mix until smooth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in a bit of the mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon juice and peel.
- Serve with warm cake.
- Refrigerate leftover sauce.