Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe in a Country Living magazine, a few years ago - and have made it many times since. It is a good recipe for those chilly days. Good comforting dessert.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- In a bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add to molasses mixture alternatively with hot water.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the lemon sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg and water. Mix until smooth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in a bit of the mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon juice and peel.
- Serve with warm cake.
- Refrigerate leftover sauce.
I'm a big fan of gingerbread, & with this lemon sauce, well . . . You've got AN ABSOLUTE WINNER here & a KEEPER OF A RECIPE! I definietly want to be making this one through the Fall & Winter months! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Adopt a Tag]
Simply delicious recipe this. It is quick and easy to make, and is a taste sensation. It is tasty while still being quite light, although quite sweet. This is fantastic for company, very quick to make and delicous. It looks great and tastes awesome. They'll think you were working on it for hours! Reviewed for Photo Tag Winter 2008