Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes a tasty breakfast or skip the chocolate sauce and top them with heated apple pie filling and whipped cream for a yummy dessert! Try them as belgium waffles! Time to make is estimate and is all listed as prep.
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In small saucepan, heat molasses and 1/2 cup butter, let cool and stir in baking soda, milk and egg.
- In Large bowl, sift flour, ginger, cinnamon & salt.
- Pour molasses and mix until smooth.
- Pour waffle mix onto hot waffle iron (regular or belgium) and cook until golden brown.
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE.
- Combine water, 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 2 tbs of butter; stir until smooth.
I admit that I did not make the waffles - but I did try the chocolate sauce. I halved the recipe, using half Splenda/half sugar and 1 Tbsp light butter. I served this over Stardust Chocolate Pancakes and it was absolutely perfect. Later I dipped some fresh strawberries into the sauce (after it had cooled) and that was wonderful, as well. I really enjoyed this. Thanks. I'll try to get back to you on those waffles some time! Ha. :)