Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cooking Light March 2007. Applesauce.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 (4 ounce) container applesauce
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (through applesauce) in a small bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and preheat. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter evenly to edges. Cook for 5 minutes or until steaming stops, and repeat procedure with remaining batter.