Top Review by Cookin'withGas
I began by trying to save myself an extra pan to clean and instead nuked the butter and molasses in a glass mixing bowl in the micro for 3 min...This worked very well...Now for the issues...Be aware that the batter is quite thick and doesn't spread (by itself) across the grids very well, as would normally happen with waffle batter...I had to spread it a little more by hand, with a silicone spatula before I closed the iron...An increase of the buttermilk to 3/4 cup or 1 cup, to thin it out a smidge and increase the spreadability when it is poured onto the grids may help...I also understand NOW why the recipe's directions say to turn the waffle iron off after 1 min, because my first waffle scorched when I followed what my waffle iron's manual instructed instead...Regretfully, I won't be able to use this recipe successfully for OAMC as I'd wanted...In my first and only attempt at taking these waffles from freezer to toaster to plate resulted, again, in scorching (in the toaster)...I've since discovered that it is the molasses that is likely the reason for the scorching and no doubt the reason for the unusual waffle iron instructions (unplugging the iron after 1 min) in order to prevent said scorching...I could try to tweak the recipe to eliminate the scorching issue so that it could perform as any other waffle recipe, but I'm simply too busy...I need waffle recipes that I can whip up with little or no fuss and utilise as OAMC...Unfortunately, this cannot be one of them :-(
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the butter and molasses in a pan and heat until it boils.
- Remove from the fire and stir in the milk and soda along with a well beaten egg.
- Don't forget to sift the rest of your dry ingredients and add them to your milk mixture.
- Bake in a hot waffle iron for 1 minute, turn off the power and leave them in the iron for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with fruit of whipped cream/Cool Whip.