Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe years ago when our boys were very young and it became a family favorite for special Saturday night dinners. These waffles were a treat because we served them with vanilla ice cream. The kids thought is was pretty special to be having dessert for dinner. Of course they can also be served with maple syrup for a delicious breakfast.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, brown sugar, molasses, and egg yolks; stir in milk.
- Combine flour and seasonings; add to sugar mixture beating until smooth. Fold in egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Bake in waffle iron and serve with either syrup or vanilla ice cream.
Made these up as directed, but another time I'd like to use dark brown sugar, 'cause I really enjoy the taste of molasses! GREAT, WONDERFUL TASTING GINGERBREAD! Definitely want to try these topped with maple syrup & toasted pecans! Thanks for posting this keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]