Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My sister has a B & B in Ontario and I am always looking for interesting recipes for her. This recipe is from the Cooking Light archives.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces applesauce
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients n a small bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Coat waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter evenly to edges. Cook for 5 minutes or until steaming stops.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
These are very yummy waffles. I had never made waffles before and found this recipe in a cooking light magazine. They were simple to make and tasted great!!