Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Been making this one since 1997 when it first made its appearance in BH&G Holiday Cooking.
- 1 (14 ounce) package gingerbread mix
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen pitted tart cherries
- 1 (29 ounce) can pears, drained and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup purchased prepared lemon pudding
- Make gingerbread according to directions. When cool enough to handle cut into 1-in cubes.
- MAKE CHERRY SAUCE: combine brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Stir in cranberry juice cocktail. Add frozen cherries. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly then cook an additional 2 minutes. Cover and cool without stirring. NOTE: this mixture can be made up to three days ahead, covered and refrigerated until needed.
- MAKE LEMON CREAM:.
- Beat whipping cream and vanilla just till soft peaks form. Fold in lemon pudding. Stir gently until combined.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Spoon 1/3 the lemon cream into a trifle dish. Add 1/3 the cherry sauce. Top with half the pears and 1/2 the gingerbread.
- Repeat this layer once and top with remaining 1/3 cherry sauce.
- Keep refrigerated.