Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I developed this recipe for an open house/Iron Chef competition party. Our secret ingredient was "ginger". This recipe won first place in the desserts and "best in show".
- 2 (18 ounce) boxes gingerbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups ginger beer
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- whipped cream
- Mix gingerbread mix, eggs and ginger beer.
- Pour in deep 9x13 pan. (Must be a deep pan to hold the milks while soaking.).
- In separate bowl, combine milks and ginger powder.
- Bake according to directions on box.
- When cake is finished baking, poke small holes in cake and slowly pour milk mixture over cake until pan is full. Slightly lift cake in pan to allow milk mixture to soak under the cake.
- Let cake sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Top with Cool Whip or fresh whipped cream.
We tried this recipe for a Hispanic pot luck, alas - most comments were negative. Way too sweet, and the ginger did nothing to improve it. Also, way too soupy. Won't make this again, sorry.
i'm reading all the tres leches cakes, gonna do alton brown's if i get to it) but this sure looks simple, comparatively speaking and easy too. i love ginger, especially crystalized small pieces in stuff. thanks for the recipe