In 'Williams-Sonoma: Breakfast Comforts'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored (or Granny Smith)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus room temperature butter for serving)
- canola oil, for cooking
- 1In a small saucepan, bring the apple juice to a boil over high heat.
- 2Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup.
- 4Cover and set aside to keep warm.
- 5Preheat the oven to 200°; have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
- 6Using a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, or the large holes of a box grater, shred the apples.
- 7You should have about 1 1/2 cups.
- 8In a large bowl, sift together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and salt, rubbing the brown sugar through the mesh with your fingers.
- 9In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter.
- 10Pour over the flour mixture and add the shredded apples.
- 11Stir just until combined; to not overmix.
- 12Place a griddle over high heat until hot.
- 13Lightly oil the griddle.
- 14For each pancake, pour about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle and spread it slightly with the back of the measuring cup.
- 15Cook until bubbles form and break on the surface, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 16Flip the pancakes and cook until the other sides are golden brown, about 1 minute more.
- 17Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- 18Repeat until all of the batter is used, oiling the griddle as needed.
- 19If batter begins to thicken, thin it with a bit more milk.
- 20Serve the pancakes piping hot, with plenty of butter and the syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread-Spiced Apple Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.6
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.9 mg
- Sodium 651.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 146.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 82.0 g
- Protein 14.2 g