Recipe by running rachel
This is a perfect cake to make to take for after dinner or even breakfast. I love waking up to the smell of baking gingerbread!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 (16 ounce) box brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Rum or Vanilla Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon rum extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut flour sugar and butter together.
- Set aside one cup of mix.
- In remainder of mix sprinkle soda and spices. Then add eggs and mix well.
- Then lightly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour into a 9 by 12 greased pan, Then sprinkle remaining reserved mixture on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- For Sauce:.
- Mix sugar and cream together.
- Heat, when ready to serve beat in melted butter real well and stir in flavoring.
- Serve over gingerbread and then add cool whip if desired.