1/1 Photo of Gingerbread Scones with Lemon Breakfast Cream
Perfect on a cold winter morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup dried currants or 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
Lemon Breakfast Cream
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1To prepare Scones: Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2Reserve 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 3In a large bowl, combine remaining sugar with flour, oatmeal, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, if used, and cloves, mixing well.
- 4Cut in margarine until crumbly.
- 5In a small bowl, combine milk, currants, egg whites and molasses.
- 6Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- 7Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 5 to 10 times.
- 8Pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness.
- 9Cut with 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped or round biscuit cutter.
- 10Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 11Sprinkle tops with reserved 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 12Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13Serve with Lemon Breakfast Cream.
- 14To make Lemon Breakfast Cream: Place cheese and lemonade concentrate in blender container or the bowl of a food processor.
- 15Cover and blend on high speed or process until smooth.
- 16Serve with warm scones.
- 17For a thinner consistency to Lemon Breakfast Cream, add 1/2 cup low-fat lemon yogurt.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Scones with Lemon Breakfast Cream
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.2
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 322.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 8.3 g