Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are so fantastic. If you love gingerbread, these are the perfect Sunday morning treat. My husband says they taste just like gingerbread men. A lot of scones come out dry and crumbly, but these are light and moist and just plain yummy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup pakced brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon ground ginger (to your taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- If using a baking stone, place in oven now.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add butter and blend using a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs (alternatively, do this step in a food processor).
- In a separate bowl, beat together milk, egg, molasses and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and raisins to the milk mixture.
- Stir gently, just until dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a 1 inch thick round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Pour cinnamon sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Press tops of wedges into cinnamon sugar.
- Place wedges on baking stone or on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- NOTE: Scones in general do not rise much and will come out dense, but not hard. Do not expect them to have the same texture as muffins or biscuits.
Moist, light and tasty perfect with a cup of tea for a late night treat.
These were delicious. I used 1/2 cup of jumbo raisins and chopped them up a bit. I also melted the butter and mixed it with the wet ingredients to simplify the process - worked out great, although the dough was a bit softer so I had to work quickly. Husband and brother-in-law loved them. Thanks so much for a delicious recipe, I will make these again!
This is an excellent yet simple recipe, and I have now made it several times. I've used currants instead of raisins, and soymilk instead of the real deal, and it always turns out delish. Many rave reviews for friends/parties I've taken this to. Thanks!!!