A great scone to serve around the holidays and the fall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- 2Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- 5Stir in the lemon zest and dried cranberries, if using.
- 6In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, molasses and vanilla and then add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
- 7Mix just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix the dough.
- 8Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 11/2 inches thick. Cut into 6 wedges.
- 9Place the scones on the baking sheet.
- 10Make an egg wash of one well-beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk and brush the tops of the scones with this mixture.
- 11Sprinkle the tops of the scones with some rolled oats.
- 12Place the baking sheet inside another baking sheet to prevent the bottoms of the scones from over browning.
- 13Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 14Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 15To Glaze: Mix together icing sugar, maple syrup, and milk, adding more sugar or milk until you get the desired consistency.
- 16With a spoon drizzle the glaze over the tops of the scones and let dry.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Scones
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.4
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 476.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 30.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of