Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are the easiest scones you'll ever make! They actually taste better if you make them the night before you serve them...the flavors are more developed. Serve with Nutmeg Whipped Cream.
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients.
- Cut in butter with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together egg yolk, molasses and milk.
- Add all at once to the center of flour mixture.
- Stir with fork until combined (mixture may seem dry.).
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- Pat dough into a circle; cut into 8 wedges.
- Sprinkle with sugar and a little nutmeg.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
The intense flavor makes these very satisfying. They definitely satisfied my gingerbread jones! A good texture, with a crunchy/crumbly crust and a moist interior. And pretty easy to make, as advertised! I ran a little short of molasses, so I supplemented with a dollop of honey. Maybe it's because honey is somewhat hygroscopic (water-absorbing) but I had to add a couple extra tablespoons of milk to get the dough to come together. Thanks for the recipe! UPDATE: This recipe definitely needs a smidge more milk--I added 3 carefully measured tablespoons. I also made the scones with half whole wheat and half AP flour, and they were still awesome. Thanks again for the excellent recipe!