Recipe by ShortieNJ
This comes from my Parish House Inn Breakfast cookbook, nutmeg whipped cream is listed seperately
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this recipe as written but without the nutmeg whipped cream! Instead I had a large batch of my own tapioca cream cheese pudding & topped these tasty gingerbread scones with that! Also used some of DARK brown sugar that I'd made up, so got a little extra hit of the molasses, which, for us, was great! Thanks for sharing this recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick A Chef]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg (seperated, beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- nutmeg whipped cream (Nutmeg Whipped Cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400.
- combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- stir together egg yolk, molasses, and milk, add to flour mixture, stir until combined (mixture may seem dry).
- place on lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 strokes (until nearly smooth).
- pat into 7 inch circle, cut into 8 wedges.
- arrange wedges on ungreased baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- brush tops with egg white, sprinke with sugar (if desired).
- bake 12-15 minutes (until light brown).
- cool on wire rack for 20 minutes, serve warm with nutmeg whipped cream (if desired).
- Optional: Can make these ahead of time, freeze, and reheat on baking sheet at 300 for 20 minutes to serve.