Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bake the scones, cool them, freeze in foil to have ready, just warm in the oven and serve with butter...so good warmed just out of the oven! Of coarse you can eat them right away LOL! Cut the butter into pieces and place in the freezer until almost frozen before. Plan ahead the dough needs to chill for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (measure out 2 cups exactly)
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (use tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (freeze the butter until almost solid)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup full-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 -4 tablespoons light molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- Grease a baking sheet.
- In a processor blend the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; process for a few seconds until combined.
- Add in very cold butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a large bowl beat together half and half, egg, molasses and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the flour/butter mixture from the processor and add it into the milk/egg mixture with raisins; gently stir until dough forms.
- Gather dough into a ball and shape into a semi-flat disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, press the dough out with hands to about 1-1/2-inch thickness round disc.
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Cut the disc into 8 even wedges.
- Place wedges onto baking sheet, leaving a space between the wedges.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes or until the scones test done with a toothpick inserted in the center.
- Serve warm or cool completely and freeze in foil.