Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
"Deep and dark" Gingerbread cake mix, mixed with canned pumpkin, and cut into small bars. Our recommended mix is "Trader Joe's Deep Dark Gingerbread Cake and Baking Mix with Molasses and Ginger". We made up the recipe, but got most of the directions from The Trader Joe Cake Mix box. Basically, we just added the canned pumpkin. Well hope you try it out, and like it! They're GREAT for Thanksgiving. By the way, DO NOT REFRIGERATE! They will grow mold.
- 1 (14 ounce) package gingerbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- (All directions except for "PUMPKIN," "OVEN," and "TO SERVE," are copied from a "Trade Joe's Deep and Dark Gingerbread Cake Mix" box. Anything in () are things we added to the directions.).
- TO PREPARE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the bottom and halfway up the sides of a normal 8x8x2 pan with butter, or cooking spray.
- MIX: Combine the egg, the oil, and the water into a bowl. Add the cake mix. Gently fold mix together (with wooden spoon), until the ingredients are moist.
- PUMPKIN: Add in the canned pumpkin. Mix WELL with wooden spoon for about 5 minutes and until mixture turns a oragneish-brown color, also be sure to get the bottom. The mixture should also have small lumps.
- PAN: Spread batter into the pan, filling the corners and leveling the top.
- OVEN: Bake the cake for one hour, and if the cake IS done, if you stick a toothpick, fork, knife, etc. in it, it should come out clean. Leave cake to cool until cake is FULLY cooled off.
- TO SERVE: Carefully cut cake into about 12 or so bars. If you want, sprinkle some powdered sugar on the top of each bar. Serve them on a plate, or take 'em to go!