Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bon Appetite, this pudding and cake hybrid oozes and intense, sticky syrup that is great with a big dollop of whipped cream. Fantastic for the holidays!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8x8 inch glass baking dish. Whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt in medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl until blended. Beat in egg. Stir molasses and 1/2 cup water in a 1 cup glass measuring cup.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, butter mixture and molasses mixture together beating to blend. Repeat until all seperate mixtures are now one and transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups hot water and melted butter in 2 cup glass measuring cup. Carefully pour over top of batter (don't worry, there will be lots of liquid on the top). Bake until gingerbread is cracked on top, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Delicious! It looked like a sad mess when it went into the oven but it baked up really nice and smelled so good while baking. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
QUESTION: Is the recipe correct using 2 tbsp. beaten egg OR should it be 2 beaten eggs?? I would love to make this??? Please advise.
I made this for a special dessert Christmas Eve- It was AMAZING! Everyone thought so- my brother-in-law was eating the leftovers in the morning! I was a little concerned with pouring the water and butter mixture on top of everything- but it just made it moist and came out absolutely perfect! One of the best desserts I have had yet! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Oh- and I doubled the recipe because it was for more people- I put it in a 9 by 13 glass baking dish and served it with vanilla ice cream.