1/3 Photos of Gingerbread People Cookies
1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for a lighter cookie to make for my office's holiday party and found this on the Cooking Light web site. These looked appealing for taste and presentation and lots of good reviews from CL subsribers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- 2Combine the flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a bowl, and set aside.
- 3Combine granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer 5 minutes.
- 4Add molasses and egg white; beat well.
- 5Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended.
- 6Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- 7Chill 1 hour.
- 8Preheat oven to 350°.
- 9Working with 1 half of dough at a time (keep remaining half chilled until ready to use), roll the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a heavily floured surface; cut with a 2 1/2-inch boy or girl cookie cutter.
- 10Place gingerbread cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- 11Arrange currants on cookies as buttons.
- 12Bake at 350° for 8 minutes.
- 13Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- 14Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- 15Spoon into a decorating bag or a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag with a tiny hole snipped in 1 corner of bag, and decorate as desired.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread People Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (17 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 33.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g