Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are great to make with kids. Use your imagination for decorating!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- frosting (Prepared creamy or gel-type) (optional)
- decorative candies (and other decorations) (optional)
- Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg in larg bowl.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses and egg.
- Gradually add flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Shape dough into 3 discs.
- Wrap well in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Working with 1 disc at a time, place on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough with lightly with lightly floured rolling pin 3/16-inch thickness.
- Cut out gingerbread people with floured 5-inch cookie cutters; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Press dough trimming together gently; reroll and cut out more cookies.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cookies stand on cookire sheets 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cookies, Decorate with candies if desired.
- Let stand at room temperature 20 min minutes or until set.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.