Recipe by Derf
Kids and adults love it, serve with a dollop of sour cream or sweet whiped cream if you like.
Top Review by JustJanS
Our guests really enjoyed this. I used tinned pears well drained and also used golden syrup instead of molasses-I've never cooked with it, only given it to our horses in bran mashes. I found dealing with the cup measurement for the butter a bit awkward as I'm used to dealing with the weight of butter rather than the volume in larger quantities.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread 1/4 cup butter on bottom of 10 inch round cake pan or 9 inch square cake pan.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Arrange pear slices on top.
- Cream together remaining butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
- Stir in molasses.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water, set aside.
- Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with dissolved baking soda to creamed mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Pour over pears.
- Bake in 350°F oven 50-65 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Run knife around edge of pan to loosen cake.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert a serving plate on top of pan and turn out upside-down onto plate.
- Serve warm.