Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This can be served as dessert or as a brunch dish in place of French toast.
- 4 large bosc pears, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- Toss sliced pears in the 2 tablespoons of flour and set aside.
- Melt the first 3 tablespoons of butter in a 9 inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter, then fan the pear slices out over the brown sugar/butter mix.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1 cup of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger together and mix well.
- Cut the 5 tablespoons butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add the buttermilk and molasses and stir until just moistened but well blended.
- Spread batter over the pears leaving a 1 inch edge.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm (with ice cream, if desired).