Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
A fun, family Christmas tradition. We use a gingerbread house moldplate.
Make and share this Gingerbread Party House recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- assorted candy sprinkles and icing
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- FOR HOUSE: In large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together reserving about 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly, adding small amounts of the remaining flour until dough is quite firm (similar to Play-doh).
- Taking gingerbread moldplate, take half the mixture and press into concaves of the mold that have been lightly floured. Using a rolling pin, roll back and forth until the dough has been firmly pressed into the concave cavities. Remove excess dough and place aside with other half. With the tip of a sharp knife or other utensil, carefully remove house pieces. Coat baking or cookie sheet with non-stick spray and gently place pieces plain side down. With other half of dough, repeat process to create the remaining side, end and roof. Place all pieces on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- FOR ICING: In large bowl, beat all ingredients together with electric mixer beginning with low speed and increasing speed to high when blended. Beat 5-7 minutes until very firm or until peaks form.
- Use a pastry bag with decorating tips to "pipe" the ribbons of icing when "glueing" house pieces together and for decorating.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Cover a board with foil or decorative paper.
- Take one front end piece of the house along with a side wall. Make sure that the decorative sides face the outside. Squeeze a ribbon of icing along the edge of the front end. Gently squeeze the side wall into the icing to form an "L" shape. Hold for a few minutes until icing bonds. Repeat procedure with back end piece and other side for another "L" shape.
- With two "L" shaped pieces, apply another ribbon of icing along the exposed ends. Gently press together four sided house. Hold together until firm. Carefully add ribbons of icing along wall joints on inside of house for extra holding protection.
- Squeeze a ribbon of icing all along the top perimeter of house. Place 2 roof panels into position gently pressing into icing on top edge of walls. Squeeze a ribbon of icing along top-center of roof to bond two roof panels. Apply a generous ribbon of icing to the back side of chimney and gently press into position on the end side of house.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes to harden and dry before decorating with icing, candy and sprinkles as desired.
It was ok, the problem wasnt the taste-they were yummy, but our house fell apart within a few days
simple and delicious!
Very fun to make and tasty too!