Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1⁄2 cup creamed shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 medium egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Mix together the shortening, sugar, and molasses.
- Next, add egg and beat completely.
- Combine all dry ingredients and add to the creamed ingredients--using 1/2 cup increments.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Refrigerate the dough until cold.
- Roll out until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to form the figures.
- Place in a 350° oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
This was just the recipe that I was searching for! Easy to make and very tasty. We made these cookies last year with the kids and plan on making them again this year.
This recipe was GREAT! I made these for my 5yo's Kindie class to decorate and had rave reviews from parents that got a taste too! Very easy recipe to follow and bake!
WOW!!!! I don't usually like Gingerbread cookies but these were yummy!!! I had my niece and nephews over and thought they would like to decorate Gingerbread Men and tried these, and this was the perfect choice. I don't usually make roll out cookies and had a little trouble with cutting the cookies and transferring them to the cookie sheet. I finally found the trick. Roll out 1/4 of the dough on wax paper, then put back in the refrigerator for 5 min to harden up again, cut the cookies, then lay the wax paper cookies side down on the cookie sheet and peel away the wax paper. I put a hole in the top of the cookies so we could put ribbon through it so we could hang them on the Christmas tree. I used Crawfish Pie's cookie frosting Cookie Frosting for the icing and it was perfect!!!!! I used large cookie cutters and this only made about 12 cookies, but it was enough. THANKS!!!!!