1/1 Photo of Gingerbread Men
Chef #829310 Tania's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- melted butter, to grease
- 125 g butter, at room temperature
- 100 g brown sugar
- 125 ml golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- plain flour, to dust
- 150 g icing sugar, sifted
- 8 -10 drops red food coloring
- 8 -10 drops green liquid food coloring
- smarties candies, to decorate
- 1These gingerbread men are both fun and easy to make, and, what's more, the kids will love them!
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.
- 5Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- 6Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Divide icing among 3 bowls. Cover 1 bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Add red colouring to 1 bowl and stir until combined. Add green colouring to remaining bowl and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- 7Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- 8Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- 9Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with Smarties.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Men
Serving Size: 1 (1106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.9
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.9 mg
- Sodium 110.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: