Recipe by Elly in Canada
ANNA’S GINGERBREAD from Anna Olson's Bakery Served with sweetened whipped cream
Top Review by Gerry
YES a five star! Both wonderful and has that old fashioned taste that makes for childhood memories - how well I remember the awesome gingerbread my mom would make for dessert on a cold winters night. I am betting Anna got that recipe from her mom! Thank you for sharing. Made in memory of Elly's DH.
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml molasses
- 4.92 ml finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 6.16 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml fine salt
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 177.44 ml boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C).
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in molasses, lemon zest, then beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt, stirring until blended. Stir in sour cream, then boiling water.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 –45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 20 minutes, before turning out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Then enjoy with some sweetened cream or a nice lemon sauce.