Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not tried this...YET! I love gingerbread and ran across this recipe in a magazine, so thought I would post it here so I didn't lose it!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, syrup and oil. Stir liquid into the dry ingredients, just until moistened(batter will be thin). Pour batter into two greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Yum! I halved the recipe and omitted oil and it still came out great. I think the maple syrup (I used imitation) was terrific! This is a dense loaf, rising and rounding beautifully. While I like a fluffier bread, this is a great loaf option. With a cream cheese spread or icing, WOW!
This is GREAT! It screams "FALL" to me and boy did the kitchen smell good while it was baking! :) The syrup was weird to me , but it worked out very well! LOL For us, it has just the right amount of the spices in it .. a nice moist loaf ... This will definitely be made again. Thanks for posting Earnhardt!!