Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this recipe out of a magazine appx 30 years ago and have no idea which one. I liked the idea of making gingerbread ladies, rather than gingerbread men. My son loved them no matter what shape I made them into.. ladies, men, pumpkin-shape, whatever. They are delicious; never lasted long enough to get iced!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg white
- confectioners' sugar
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Cream Crisco and sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and molasses; beat til well blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Chill for at least one hour (this is important).
- Half dough and roll out on lightly floured surface until 1/4" thick.
- Cut out in desired shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until done.
- Cool a couple of minutes on pan before removing to finish cooling on wire rack.
- DECORATOR FROSTING: Beat egg white; gradually add enough confectioners' sugar til decorating consistency.