Saved this recipe from a parent workshop with my oldest daughter. Very easy to whip up, and the kids LOVED to taste it along the way!! Used whatever leftover icing to "glue" gingerbread house ingredients with a clean popsticle stick to an empty 8oz. milk carton.
- In a large clean bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add powdered sugar in small amounts, mixing well on high speed after each addition.
- Beat on high speed 4-5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- You may need to stir icing to soften before use.
Tastes great! This IS better than with just water. Grandma was offended that I used eggs, but that's ok. Highly recommend the electric mixer.
I used between 3 and 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 4 and 3/4 cup. The consistency was great. Thick and smooth. Dried strong, held graham cracker structures together. Also was complimented on the taste (better than water and powdered sugar). Definitely a recipe to keep.
Works like a charm. Half is enough for a medium-sized house plus a batch of cookies. "Glue" aspect quite strong - held large candies quickly. Saves well in the fridge. Thanks!