Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
These holiday treats can be enjoyed at home or shipped to a friend. They are not too fragile, so they stand up well to traveling.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (or pecans)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour 3 pieces aluminum foil to fit baking sheets.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugar and beat until light, about 3 minutes. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Add molasses and beat until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking powder and soda, spices, and salt together. Add to butter mixture and mix just until blended. Stir in chopped ginger, the raisins, and nuts.
- Using fingers, shape dough into 6 logs about 1 inch high and 1-1/2 inches wide, 2 on each piece of foil. Dough spreads when baked, so space logs well apart. Lightly beat remaining egg and brush over logs.
- Bake on baking sheets on center rack of oven until golden but still quite soft, 10-14 minutes. Let cool completely on foil on wire racks. Cut logs crosswise into 2-inch-wide bars. Store in airtight containers.