Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
mmm gingerbready, Guinnessy goodness
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180C (350°F). Line 2 muffin trays with 18 cupcake liners.
- Bring stout and molasses to boil in heavy medium saucepan over high heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda.
- Let stand 1 hour to cool completely.
- Whisk flour and next 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk eggs and both sugars in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk in oil, then stout mixture.
- Gradually whisk stout-egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir in fresh ginger if adding it in cake.
- Divide batter among prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake until tester inserted into centers of cakes comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes on racks. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Excellent, tasty treat! My Mom made these for her Grandson's 18th b'day party, being held at our favorite Irish Pub....we shared them with the staff there and soon the chef was out of the kitchen asking for the recipe! Perfect recipe, prepared as written. Thank you :)