This is my grandmother's recipe from the 1930's. It's my favorite spicy gingerbread/cake recipe that's wonderful served warm with whipped cream or butter. Prep time is estimated.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
In a separate bowl mix
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup sour milk (add 3 1/2 teaspoons vinegar to whole milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour an 8" square pan (or use Pam).
- The ingredients listed under "cream together" should be added one ingredient at a time, creaming in between each addition.
- When you have finished adding/creaming all the liquid ingredients, keep beating the liquid mixture, folding in the dry mixture, alternating with the 2/3 cup sour milk.
- Once everything is mixed in, pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle.
- When it comes out clean, it's done.