Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Yes, I know there are people who don't like fruitcake. But I am not one of them. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. It is easy to make -- and delicious! It adds a dash of fun to your hostess table. Actually I don't know where i even found this recipe, but I've had it a long time. If you make your own candied orange peel, it will add special goodness to this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, sifted
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup dates, snipped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place a large pan of hot water on bottom rack. Heavily grease a 10-cup tube or Bundt pan.
- Beat butter until smooth and soft. Gradually add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift together the flour and spices. Reserve 1/2 cup. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with the molasses and orange juice beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle the dates, pecans, and candied orange peel with the reserved flour mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter. then fold in floured nuts and fruits.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake on center rack for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Loosen edges and invert onto serving platter.