Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A wonderful gingerbread cookie without having to roll and cut out! Cooking time is per batch. These freeze very well. Thaw for one hour before serving. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat until well combined.
- Beat in molasses, eggs, and milk until well mixed.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375° oven for about 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
These turned out great. I opted to roll the dough out and use cookie-cutters, which turned out perfectly. I've never had a better batch of gingerbread cookies. Do not bake for more than 8 minutes, as they tend to brown quickly. The flour seems like too much when you're working it in, but do it in parts and the dough will turn out moist and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!
Gingerbread is one of my favorites and I always like to try new recipes. These were very easy, with a nice soft texture and were quite tasty. I did add a little salt to bring out the spices more - I'd say 1/2-3/4 tsp total is good. I'm not a big fan of nuts so I replaced them with another 1/2 cup raisins. Mine were a little bigger than called for (I used a #60 scoop) which yielded 57 cookies which I baked for 9 minutes. Thanks for posting the recipe Marie!
First off these cookies DID NOT EXPAND when they were IN THE OVEN, causing me to have to roll them out. Also they are okay, they could be more gingery. Its a nice and easy recipe. Does not make many