Recipe by litldarlin
This was a recipe for a Gingerbread house that my mother helped my sister make for a class project. It is time comsuming and can be fun to do as a family. The Gingerbread house is also a wonderful decoration around the Holidays.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 6 3⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR SNOW: 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 egg white and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- You can use M&M candies, peppermint candy, Bassett's Licorice, gummy bears, Smarties and a lot of imagination.
- GLUE: melt sugar in a large frying pan, and dip the edges into the sugar and put together with mating part - very quickly.
- Heat sugar, molasses, butter and spices in a pot on low heat.
- Pour in the milk and let the mixture cool.
- Mix the baking soda into the flour and the flour mixture into the liquids.
- Make the dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on top and cover with towel or plastic wrap.
- Place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- While dough is sitting, design a house and cut out the walls, roof, doors, windows chimney etc. Out of cardboard.
- Turn on the oven to 350 °F.
- Roll out dough (not too thin!) and place cardboard pieces on top of dough and cut around the edge into wanted shapes.
- Bake until golden brown for about 12-15 minute.
- Put the house together and decorate.