Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
delicious old-fashioned gingerbread
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Sift 5 cups sifted flour with baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
- Beat 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of butter in a large bown with mixer until creamy.
- Beat in 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses, and grated orange rind.
- Stir in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, blending well to make a stiff dough.
- Chill several hours or overnight to firm.
- Bake 8 minutes at 375 degrees F.