Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My co-worker Amy is talented in all things craftsy: basket-making, soaps (the real kind, with lye!) and this is her recipe for gingerbread craft dough for holiday ornaments, etc. You can protect them with clearcoat to save for future holidays, but this will mask the delicious spicy fragrance, so I'd just make more next year and enjoy the aroma this year. Prep time includes drying time and yield depends on the size of your cookie cutters. And please don't eat them!
- Cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; stir in molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then stir into the shortening mixture in 3 parts, alternating with 1/4 cup water each time.
- Dough will be stiff.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into 3 pieces and knead to warm slightly then roll out each piece about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes; use a straw to make a hole at the top if you're making an ornament.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack and let dry about 3 days.
- Decorate as desired.