3 hrs 30 mins
bug @<'s Note:
I have never made this myself, but found this in a magazine a long time ago (sorry, I have no idea which one). The pictures were so cute; I have no doubt the outcome is worth all the trouble. Prep time is estimated and includes chill time. Does not include time it takes to make additional cookies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light molasses
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1Cream butter and sugars.
- 2Beat in molasses, corn syrup, and eggs until smooth.
- 3Combine remaining (dry) ingredients in a separate bowl.
- 4Stir well.
- 5Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- 6The dough will be stiff.
- 7Divide the dough into fourths and wrap each piece in plastic wrap.
- 8Chill dough at least 2 hours.
- 9Preheat the oven to 350*.
- 10Cover the outside of a 1 quart (oven proof) glass bowl with aluminum foil.
- 11Be careful; keep the foil smooth.
- 12Place one round of dough on lightly floured surface; roll to a 1/4" thick circle with a floured rolling pin.
- 13Transfer dough to outside of foil-lined bowl, pressing dough firmly onto the bowl.
- 14Cut out heart shapes (or other desired shape) around the bowl using a 1" heart (or other) shaped cookie cutter.
- 15Place inverted bowl on ungreased baking sheet and bake 25-30 min, or until dough is lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- 16Allow to cool on the bowl.
- 17Once cool, carefully loosen foil and cookie bowl from glass bowl.
- 18Remove the foil from the gingerbread bowl.
- 19Roll out remaining dough 1/8" thick.
- 20Cut cookies out using desired cookie cutters.
- 21Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet 8-10 min, or until lightly browned.
- 22Cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Cookies in a Gingerbread Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (2091 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 225.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g