Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I have never made this myself, but found this in a magazine a long time ago (sorry, I have no idea which one). The pictures were so cute; I have no doubt the outcome is worth all the trouble. Prep time is estimated and includes chill time. Does not include time it takes to make additional cookies.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 8 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in molasses, corn syrup, and eggs until smooth.
- Combine remaining (dry) ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Stir well.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- The dough will be stiff.
- Divide the dough into fourths and wrap each piece in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- Cover the outside of a 1 quart (oven proof) glass bowl with aluminum foil.
- Be careful; keep the foil smooth.
- Place one round of dough on lightly floured surface; roll to a 1/4" thick circle with a floured rolling pin.
- Transfer dough to outside of foil-lined bowl, pressing dough firmly onto the bowl.
- Cut out heart shapes (or other desired shape) around the bowl using a 1" heart (or other) shaped cookie cutter.
- Place inverted bowl on ungreased baking sheet and bake 25-30 min, or until dough is lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool on the bowl.
- Once cool, carefully loosen foil and cookie bowl from glass bowl.
- Remove the foil from the gingerbread bowl.
- Roll out remaining dough 1/8" thick.
- Cut cookies out using desired cookie cutters.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet 8-10 min, or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.