Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My favorite gingerbread cookie. Bakes up nice and tender. From a collection of Christmas cookies published in Women's Day 1998
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel or 1 teaspoon orange peel
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and egg with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add molasses, vanilla, and citrus peel and beat about 1 minute until smooth.
- Gradually beat in about 1/2 of the flour mixture. With a large wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour mixture until blended. Divide dough in half. Wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours until firm or up to 4 days.
- Place 1 rack in upper third of oven. Heat to 375. Roll dough to scant 1/4 in thickness and cut cookies.
- Bake in upper third of oven 7 to 10 minutes until edges of cookies are slightly darker than centers. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.