Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
This one is from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bown, beat shortening with an electric mixer, on medium to high speed.
- Add sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat till combined, scraping bowl.
- Beat in molasses, egg and vinegar till combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 hours or till easy to handle.
- Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the doug at a t time to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 5-6, minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, decorate cookies with icing and candy.