Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Based on the Colonial Williamsburg Cookbook recipe.
Make and share this Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 7 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add the melted margarine, evaporated milk and molasses.
- Add extracts. Mix well.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly.
- The dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to fingers.
- Knead the dough for a smoother texture. Add 1 to 2 cups additional flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- When the dough is smooth, roll into 3/4 in balls and flatten to about 1/4 in high.
- Bake on floured or greased cookie sheet at 375° for 10 - 12 minutes. The cookies are done if they spring back when touched.
I loved these. Not difficult to make and this makes a ton. I put a lemon glaze on top and it was perfect. This is not too sweet but lovely with some tea. Thanks.