Prep 12 hrs
Cook 5 mins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3-2 5⁄8 cups butter or 1 1⁄3-2 5⁄8 cups margarine
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix the baking soda with half of the flour.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add molasses, margarine, and all the spices to the warm sugar water.
- Let cool.
- Add the flour mixture, and put the dough on the counter and add the rest of the mixture as it is kneaded.
- Put dough in a bowl and sprinkle some flour on top.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap.
- Let sit in refrigerator for about 12 hours.
- Turn on the oven to 420-440 °F (200-225 °C).
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Use a rolling pin and make the dough very thin.
- Use different kinds of christmassy cookie cutters to cut out different shapes.
- Place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack until hardened somewhat.
First, the quantity of butter/margarine was confusing. 1 1/3 - 2 5/8 cups? I figured 1 1/3 was closest... so I used that. Then... 2 1/2 cups was not enough flour. I finally used about 3 - 3 1/2 cups of flour. In the end the cookies tasted really good. I think I would probably use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening, so they wouldn't get too brown.
HO HO HO!! MRS. CLAUSE CAN'T DO IT BETTER THAN THIS! I WASN'T SURE ABOUT THE OVEN TEMP, SO I WINGED IT AND SET IT TO 425.