Recipe by lazyme
This tender and very light-textured cake may very well become your next Christmas classic. From 50 Splenda Recipes.
Top Review by Annacia
I went right by the recipe and got a light textured and lighter gingerbread flavored cake just as promised. DH isn't a traditional gingerbread fan but this he quite enjoys this recipe because it is milder and not dense. I also like that it doesn't make a large cake but that it's perfect for one or two people.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour and lightly measure 1 cup.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup Splenda, and spices in a large bowl.
- Cut in the margarine using a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside.
- To the large bowl of flour, add the baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, molasses, and egg.
- Beat with a spoon or on low speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Add the tablespoon of Splenda and teaspoon of cinnamon to the reserved crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle mixture over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when touched lightly.