Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This tender and very light-textured cake may very well become your next Christmas classic. From 50 Splenda Recipes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour and lightly measure 1 cup.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup Splenda, and spices in a large bowl.
- Cut in the margarine using a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside.
- To the large bowl of flour, add the baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, molasses, and egg.
- Beat with a spoon or on low speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Add the tablespoon of Splenda and teaspoon of cinnamon to the reserved crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle mixture over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when touched lightly.
I went right by the recipe and got a light textured and lighter gingerbread flavored cake just as promised. DH isn't a traditional gingerbread fan but this he quite enjoys this recipe because it is milder and not dense. I also like that it doesn't make a large cake but that it's perfect for one or two people.
This is just what I was looking for. Very light and tasty. I used Stevia instead of Splenda. I am looking for a low fat/sugar gingerbread recipe to make Pumpkin Trifle 250442 and I think this will work perfectly.
We are not eating white flour, so I did substitute 1/2 cup oat bran, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for the 1 cup white flour and the only thing I would say is that when you mix it, if you do the same substitute, make sure it is well mixed, but it won't be smooth because of the oat bran.
Topped with fat free Redi-Whip.