Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good for Christmas!
- 140 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 eggs, separated
- 110 g sugar
- 85 g melted butter
- 55 g black treacle
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 55 g evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Grease and line a 9x5 loaf tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sieve flour, ginger, soda together and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar till very pale and fluffy.Gradually add in melted butter. Add in treacle, rum and milk. Mix well with electric mixer. Pour in sifted dry ingredients and mix.
- In a clean bowl whisk egg whites and the 1 tsp of sugar till foamy. Add in cream of tartar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into cake batter and incorporate well. Pour into tin and bake for around 40 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for five minutes and take it out of the tin. Cool thoroughly before cutting.